Saturday, January 5, 2008

3D design - project 1, part 2


This is the first project from my 3D design class. Unlike what I originally thought, the course had nothing to do with 3D rendering, or anything related to computers. It actually turned out to be much more fun than that.

My professor was a 3D designer who worked mainly for museums, doing displays. She'd come up with how to set up the displays, how to upholster them, etc. Because of all the different places she's worked, she had a lot of useful hints to share (and a lot of funny stories!)


This is how the second part of this project worked:

1) we had to pick our favorite shape from part one of the project

2) we then had to make either a superform, or a smallform, out of it (either make several large versions of the shape, or several very small versions of the shape) We were limited to up to 4 large shapes total, or up to 9 small shapes total - but no combining them.

3) we then had to pick a material of our choice, and make these super- or smallforms

4) the final portion was, as in the first project, mounting them on some sort of base

I chose to make a superform from my shape, and use a gorgeous gold paint-splattered paper I found while farting around in the Sheridan art supply section of the bookstore.

I then chose to mount them overtop of a mirror.

It has a REALLY neat effect (which the picture almost managed to capture, suprisingly enough)

If you look at it at the right angle you can't see anything but the reflection of the shapes - get too close, and your face distorts the image.

All in all this was my favorite part of project 1: I was much happier with this portion than the first.

I DO agree with my teachers comment that the combination of wood grain, mirror AND gold paint on the paper made it a little too busy. Had it been just the gold and mirror it would have been more effective in the end.

No comments: