Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Typography 2 - Project 1




First project for Typography 2: create a two-page layout, including cover and back page, about an influential type designer chosen by the professor. The idea was to make a brochure to be displayed at the Thomas Fisher Rare Book Library, at the University of Toronto.

We also had to use a grid system, and the layout software Adobe InDesign.
I used to HATE HATE HATE using that program - now I really like it.
FYI: grids are used in everything. Magazines, newspapers, books.
My project was based off a four-column grid (all columns equal sizes) and, as my professor put it: "well you really used all possible methods for that one, didn't you?"
She was talking about how things seem to float around on the page... and yet are actually part of the grid at the same time. It's organized, it makes sense... and yet it doesn't all at once, which makes it look interesting.
HOPEFULLY that's a good thing! Mary Ann is a hard person to read.

As for subject matter: I got, as you can tell, John Baskerville!
I wasn't, admittedly, very excited to learn about him at first (I'd wanted Giambattista Bodoni because I really like his typeface, but Neti snatched him up quicker than we could say "no!")

In the end: I'm glad I got this guy.
His typeface was one of the driving forces that lead to the invention of modern typefaces. He's the one who INSPIRED Bodoni to create that typeface I like so much!
The images should be large enough for you to read the actual information if you're interested, but here's a really fast idea of it:
- his design was ludicrous for the time (since it had REALLY thin lines and really thick lines)
- it inspired later type designers to create typefaces with even THINNER lines

It was printed on a slightly textured, cream-colored, thick paper.

In the end: I'm very pleased with it.
My Typography work when it comes to paragraphs and layouts isn't the strongest, but I had fun with this and I think it looks great.

FYI: there are probably some typos in there that got missed. When you're doing last-minute editing at 2am the night before you have to have it printed you tend to miss things...!

No comments: