Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Package Design - Project 2





An entire term later and here they are: my babies.
My horribly finicky babies.
I've spent more time awake with these at night for the past 3 months than I think my mother ever had to spend awake with ME when I was little.

"Victoria" chocolates. Which come in the shape of jewellery!
The boxes are entirely recyclable, including the inset that holds the chocolate in place. And if you remove that inset you can reuse the boxes. They have little paper curls built into the top, which hold necklaces or earrings (I tested it out - they work well! You just pull on them to get the necklace off, and recurl them a little), and the die-cut in the front means you can see which pieces you hung in which box. You can also use them as a handy pencil case, like I'm doing to all the rejects.

There's a colour for each suggested flavour: dark brown for dark chocolate, cream for white, pale brown for milk chocolate, green for mint, orange for orange, and pink for strawberry.

My mother can attest to the fact that printing was a huge issue for these.
Not many printers will accept a one-off project, much less a one-off from a student...!

So I test printed these EVERY WEEK at a local Kinkos, so that I knew exactly what to expect when I went to print the final pieces...
If only that tactic had remained successful. The printer stopped printing them properly this week. Several of the prints had massive yellow streaks through them, others had red banding, others were just outright printed improperly. I had to babysit the staff. Ah to be a staff member there so I could just do it myself instead of dictating over the counter...!

No comments: